Honey Soy Glazed Turkey
Honey Soy Glazed Turkey
- 12 pound turkey
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 2 ¼ cups honey divided
- 1 ¼ cup Tamari
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 oranges cut into wedges
- 1 bunch fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 6 cups ice
- ¾ cup 1 ½ sticks butter at room temperature
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Gluten free non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey. Save for another use or discard. Rinse the turkey well inside and out.
- Combine 6 cups of water with the salt and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the salt. Stir in 2 cups honey, 1 cup tamari, the molasses, orange wedges, sage, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and peppercorns. Add the ice and stir until it melts. Pour the mixture into a pot or bucket large enough to hold the turkey. Place the turkey in, breast side down, and add enough cold water so that the turkey is fully covered with the mixture, stirring the water in to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 12 hours. Remove the turkey from the brine, discard the brine, rinse the turkey with cold water, dry the skin and cavities well, and let the turkey sit at room temperature for 1 hour before roasting.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Rub the butter generously all over the turkey. Sprinkle with pepper. Place the turkey on a rack in a roasting pan and tie the legs together with kitchen string. You can also tuck the wings under the bird, if desired.
- Roast for 1 hour, then cover the turkey with a piece of foil sprayed with gluten free non-stick cooking spray to keep the turkey from getting too dark. Roast for another 45 minutes, then start checking the internal temperature of the turkey with an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh. You want the temperature to reach 165 degrees; this will take about 2 – 2 ½ hours total.
- While the turkey is roasting, make a glaze by combining the remaining ¼ cup honey, ¼ cup soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar in a small but deep saucepan. Bring to a boil and continue boiling until it becomes as thick as molasses, about 5 minutes. The glaze needs to be thick or it will not adhere to the turkey.
- Once the turkey reaches 165 degrees, remove from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees. Brush the turkey with about 1/3 of the glaze and return to the oven, cook for 2 minutes, then glaze again with half the remaining glaze. Cook for another 3 minutes. Remove the turkey from the oven, place it on a cutting board or serving platter, give it a final brush with the glaze, tent with foil, and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.