Easy Tortilla Soup
Easy Tortilla Soup
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil divided
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups gluten free chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can Hatch Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 10-ounce can Hatch Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies, undrained
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained1
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Topping Ideas
- Cilantro leaves
- Sour cream
- Avocado slices
- Sliced radishes
- Sliced green onions
- Sliced jalapeno peppers
- Remove the skin and bones from the chicken, discard, and shred the chicken meat. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or large stock pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, enchilada sauce, and diced tomatoes with chilies. Raise the heat to high, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, make the tortilla strips. Cut the tortillas into thin strips. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add one layer of tortilla strips at a time and cook until golden brown, about 15 seconds per side. Remove to a paper towel lined plate, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and repeat until all the strips are fried.
- After the soup has simmered for 15 minutes, add the chicken, beans, and corn. Cook, covered, for another 5 minutes or until fully heated through. Serve the soup topped with the tortilla strips and any additional toppings you like.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Disclaimer: All nutrition facts on Simply Gluten Free are meant only as a guide and may differ depending on product brands used or ingredient substitutions. Some errors may occur, so you are encouraged to confirm the recipe’s ingredient and nutrition suitability for your own diet.
Have you tried this recipe? Give it a star rating and let us know your thoughts in the Ratings & Reviews section below.